Is your house a poison risk?

Each year, approximately 2.4 million people -- more than half under age 6 -- swallow or have contact with a poisonous substance. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has some important tips to prevent and to treat exposures to poison.

Most poisonings occur when parents or caregivers are home, but are preoccupied. The most dangerous potential poisons are medicines, cleaning products, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, pesticides, furniture polish, gasoline, kerosene and lamp oil.

Be especially alert when there is a change in routine. Holidays, visits to and from grandparents' homes, and other special events may bring greater risk of poisoning if the usual safety measures are defeated or not in place.

To poison proof your home

Store medicines, cleaners, paints/varnishes and pesticides in their original packaging in locked cabinets or containers, out of sight and out of reach of children. Install a safety latch that locks when you close the door on child-accessible cabinets containing harmful products. Purchase and keep all medicines in containers with safety caps. Discard unused medication. Never refer to medicine as candy or another appealing name. Check the label each time you give a child medicine to ensure proper dosage. Never place poisonous products in food or drink containers. Keep coal, wood or kerosene stoves in safe working order. Maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Treatment

If your child is unconscious, not breathing, or having convulsions or seizures due to poison contact or ingestion, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately. If your child has come in contact with poison and has mild or no symptoms, call your poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

Different types and methods of poisoning require different, immediate treatment

Swallowed poison -- Remove the item from the child and have the child spit out any remaining substance. Do not make your child vomit. Do not use syrup of ipecac. Skin poison -- Remove the child's clothes and rinse the skin with lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes. Eye poison -- Flush the child's eye(s) by holding the eyelid(s) open and pouring a steady stream of room temperature water into the inner corner. Poisonous fumes -- Take the child outside or into fresh air immediately. If the child has stopped breathing, start cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and do not stop until the child breathes on his or her own, or until someone can take over.