That's right, a raisin up the nose. In our ongoing salute to the less-than-smart things that kids sometimes do, this month we look at the problem posed by a raisin that has made its way up the nostril of some curious child and can't find its way out now.

That's right, a raisin up the nose. In our ongoing salute to the less-than-smart things that kids sometimes do, this month we look at the problem posed by a raisin that has made its way up the nostril of some curious child and can't find its way out now.

In medical-speak, this raisin has become a "nasal foreign body," according to Dr. Charles Elmaraghy, an ear, nose and throat physician with Nationwide Children's Hospital.

"Children often place in their noses food items, small toys, rocks and whatever they can fit through their nostrils," explained Elmaraghy.

Sometimes parents are lucky enough to realize this has happened as soon as it happens, and can remove the item themselves.

But sometimes it takes a while to find out that something has taken residence in a child's nasal passages. Elmaraghy assured us that "odor and drainage" will serve as helpful clues in that case.

And if the object can't be removed easily by a parent, said Elmaraghy, the child will "need medical attention immediately and a trip to the pediatrician, urgent care or emergency department should be sufficient."

Most removals by a medical professional are accomplished easily, Elmaraghy said, but occasionally a child may need to be sedated before an item can be removed.

What's the worst that could happen? Two words - disc battery.

Said Elmaraghy, "This is an emergency if a child places a disc battery in the nostril. Batteries can be very destructive and can cause severe problems. Some of the chemicals within the battery and the charge of the battery itself can destroy normal tissue in the nose and cause permanent damage within hours."

And if this scenario happens, get your child to a doctor's office, urgent-care facility or emergency room right away.