Take the crafty route this Valentine's Day and hand out these handmade pals instead of traditional cards!
Take the crafty route this Valentine's Day and hand out these handmade pals instead of traditional cards! They're easy to make using low-cost materials and each pal can have a personalized message. Get the whole family involved in making these fuzzy pals for the children's classmates and you'll be making fuzzy, happy memories as well!
WHAT YOU NEED Red, white and/or pink pom-poms Googly eyes Red, white and/or pink felt Scissors Tacky glue Fine-point permanent marker
HOW YOU DO IT
1. Find the flattest part of your pom-pom and make that the bottom of your pal.
2. Glue googly eyes on first to give it some personality. (Tip: Adhesive googly eyes are not strong enough to attach to pom-poms, so you'll still have to use glue.)
3. Trace the bottom of the pom-pom onto a piece of felt in a coordinating color. Draw little feet coming out of the traced circle. Cut out just inside the lines and flip over.
4. Add glue to the circular part of the felt and put the pom-pom on top of it.
5. Cut out a rectangle shape from the felt, approximately 4 inches by 3/4 inch. Cut a "V" shape into one end of the rectangle making it look like a ribbon.
6. Starting about an inch to the right of the squared end of the felt ribbon, write your Valentine's Day message with a fine point permanent marker.
7. Glue the squared end of the felt ribbon to the bottom of your pal.
8. Get creative in customizing your pals with felt accessories like glasses or scarves to make extra special pals for your extra special Valentines this year!WHO THOUGHT THIS UP
OLIVERA BRATICH owns Wholly Craft, 3515 N. High St. The Clintonville shop features handmade goods from more than 200 crafters and artists, including clothing, jewelry, accessories, paper goods, home décor and more! Hours of operation: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturdays, 12 noon-5 p.m. Sundays. For more information, go to whollycraft.com or call 614-447-3445.