Healthy tips from Nationwide Children's
Cold weather and the dry air caused by household heaters can cause some children to experience bloody noses during the winter.
Nationwide Children's Hospital has some tips to help children avoid bloody noses.
* Apply a very thin coating of petroleum jelly inside each nostril for two weeks during the dry season. This will keep the lining of the nose moist.
* Use a cool vaporizer in the bedroom at night, especially during winter. Be sure to keep the vaporizer clean.
* Blow your nose gently.
The hospital also offers advice on when to seek help. Parents should call the doctor if:
* They cannot stop the bleeding after applying pressure for 10 minutes.
* The nosebleed occurs after an accident or being hit in the face.
* Their child has a clotting disorder and they can't stop the nosebleed.
* To learn more about nosebleeds, visit nationwidechildrens.org/nosebleeds.